An early math activity to try
Every single Autumn, I go a little overboard on buying pumpkins. I recently bought a huge basket from the local florist and so i’ve been figuring out ways to use them. The husband would prefer it if I actually just cooked them – but where’s the fun in that? I’ve seen these pumpkin geoboards many times on Pinterest so thought i’d give one a go!
- Drawing pins – these huge ones are from Flying Tiger
- Elastic bands
- Spider-Girl suit – optional
What to do:
I simply pushed the drawing pins in the pumpkin, aiming roughly for triangular patterns for her to explore. It was far easier than I expected to push the pins in and it kind of ended up looking a little alien like!
Z has done many geoboard type activities before, so needed no instruction on what to do but if your child has no idea and isn’t sure, try modelling a few first.
- Early Math – by making shapes and lines.
- Fine motor skills – stretching the elastic bands over the pins
- The World Around us – making connections to the seasons and the produce available during autumn
- Language development – talking about colours, shapes and seasons
Like it? Pin it!
I’m now on Pinterest – better late than never, right? You can follow me here.