I was first interested in the idea of naturally dyed play dough after seeing ideas from my dear friend, The Harmony Tree House. I’m pretty much obsessed with this beetroot dough – just LOOK at the colour. Here’s how to make it:
You will need:
Please note that suggested quantities are just a guide. You can add more water/ more flour depending on the consistency of your dough.
- Approximately 1 cup of beetroot water – I saved mine from some beetroot that we had boiled
- 2 cups of plain flour
- 1/2 cup of salt
- 1 cup of cooled boiled water (it’s best to use when lukewarm, in my experience)
- 2 tbsp of oil
- 2 teaspoons of cream of tartar
- I started a little differently this time and put the beetroot water in the bowl first. This was so that I could judge how much flour I would need.
- Mix the flour, salt and cream of tartar together, then add to the bowl. The cream of tartar gives the dough a really smooth consistency however i’ve noticed since moving to Austria that it can be hard to get hold of. If this is the case for you, try Amazon or use lemon / lime juice instead.
- Once combined, add the oil and mix well.
- Finally GRADUALLY add the cooled boiled water, mixing well each time you add more water. At this stage, it’s best to get your hands dirty (which I why you need to allow the water to cool down first) as i’ve personally found it the best way to get the dough to the right consistency.
Some quick tips:
To really make your play dough last, you need to store in correctly. I tend to use sandwich bags or ziplock bags, which I then reuse for different batches of play dough. Seal them inside a Tupperware box or even takeaway container. Here i’ve used the IKEA GLIS box which is possibly my new favourite thing!
Store your play dough in a cool dry place so that it lasts for as long as possible. In the summertime when it gets ridiculously hot, we’ve stored ours in the fridge!
If the play dough ends up getting left out after play, try reviving it with a tiny bit of water.
Like it? Pin it!
I’m pretty new to Pinterest but I am now pinning daily – please click on the link here to follow me.