Rainbow rice is a wonderful way to introduce sensory play to your toddler. It’s both cheap and easy to make, yet will provide hours of fun. We first started making this with Zoey when she turned one and we felt confident that she wouldn’t just eat the rice!
You will need:
– Divide 2-3 cups of white rice into the resealable sandwich bags.
– Pour 2tbsp of white vinegar into each bag.
– Add food colouring. The more you use, the deeper the shade. We went for vibrant colours and used several tbsp for each bag.
– Shake the mixture until the rice is coated in the food colouring.
– Leave the rice to dry overnight to prevent mould.
– Put each colour into a large plastic storage container (or tuff spot) ready for play!
There is an option to make rainbow rice with non-toxic acrylics too HOWEVER… I would only use that method with children 3+ as you need to be sure they won’t put play items in their mouths.
As always, please do any play activity under supervision.
If you’re looking for more creative play activities and recipes, please check out my E-Book, The Creative Play A-Z! http://www.teachinvestigateplay.com/shop