Rainbow rice is a wonderful way to introduce sensory play to your toddler. It’s both cheap and easy to make, yet will provide hours of fun. We first started making this with Zoey when she turned one and we felt confident that she wouldn’t just eat the rice! Here’s what you need to do…
You will need:
- 1kg bag white rice
- White vinegar
- 3-4 food colours (we chose pink, yellow, green and blue)
- Sealable sandwich bags
- Large plastic container
– Divide 2-3 cups of white rice into the resealable sandwich bags.
– Pour 2tbsp of white vinegar into each bag.
– Add food colouring. The more you use, the deeper the shade. We went for vibrant colours and used several tbsp for each bag.
– Shake the mixture until the rice is coated in the food colouring.
– Leave the rice to dry overnight to prevent mould.
– Put each colour into a large plastic storage container (or tuff spot) ready for play!
We have tried so many themes with rainbow rice, including Valentine’s, Easter and Saint Patrick’s Day sensory bins. Check out the following for some inspiration and comment below if you have any other suggestions for us!